Table of Contents
How to Add IDM Extension in Chrome in windows 10?
In this article, we will walk you through the methods that help you add IDM extension in Chrome in windows 10 (IDM Extension Chrome or IDM chrome extension) by installing from the IDM integration module chrome web store.
Let’s get started.
Internet Download Manager (IDM)?
Internet download manager, or IDM as many of us call it, has been around for a long time. It is the best Chrome download manager for Windows operating system users.
The default download managers of browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, etc. don’t provide you the maximum possible download speed due to reasons like the lack of multiple download bands, connection restrictions, and so on.
On the other hand, Internet Download Manager can accelerate the slow downloading speeds by providing the maximum possible download speed, up to 5 times, on your Internet.
The Internet download manager also lets you resume downloads if downloads are interrupted or you intentionally stopped them.
Google Chrome can transfer downloads to IDM directly, without the need to open Internet download manager manually, with the help of what’s called IDM Integration module extension or IDM Chrome Extension (Chrome IDM Extension).
What is IDM Integration Module Extension?
IDM Integration Module Extension is an IDM Extension for Chrome that directly transfers downloads from Google Chrome to Internet Download Manager for any files or entire web pages.
How to Add Chrome to “Capture Downloads from the following Browsers” List
Before you move into the methods to add IDM extension in Chrome, make sure to check the settings of IDM to ensure that Chrome is on the list of “Capture Downloads from the following Browsers” setting in Internet Download Manager.
IDM will not capture downloads from Chrome if it is not on the “Capture Downloads from the following Browsers“ list.
Follow the steps shown below to check:
1. Open IDM.
2. Head to Options and click General Tab. Checklist of browsers with which the IDM integration module is enabled in Capture downloads from the following browsers field.
3. If you cannot find Google Chrome on the list for any reason whatsoever, click on Add Browser and locate Google Chrome executable file to integrate it with the web browser.
Do not forget to tick the box which says Use advanced browser integration. If IDM is not also capturing downloads in other browsers such as Safari, Firefox, etc., this method will help you enable the IDM integration module for them as well.
How to Add IDM Extension to Chrome
Method 1: Automatic Installation of IDM extension
When you first install IDM, version 6.33, or the latest versions, a pop-up notification is shown in Google chrome that informs you IDM Integration module chrome for Google chrome is automatically added.
Hence, you need to make sure your IDM is up-to-date by following the steps shown below:
1. Open IDM.
2. Then, click on the Help tab.
3. Finally, Click on Check for Updates.
If the IDM version you are using is not up to date, IDM will immediately start downloading the latest version of IDM from the official website.
After updating IDM to version 6.33 or later, IDM will automatically install IDM integration module Chrome in the chrome web browser.
Method 2: Manual Extension Installation IDM integration module chrome web store
Sometimes, the IDM extension for chrome may not automatically get installed in Google Chrome because of either of the following error messages:
· Not from Google Chrome Web Store. This extension violates the Chrome Web Store Policy.
· Suspicious extensions disabled. To make Chrome safer, we disabled some extensions that are not listed in the Chrome Web Store and may have been added without your knowledge.
· Google has flagged IDM Integration as malicious and the installation has been prevented.
If you are facing one of the above error messages, you need to add the IDM Integration Module extension in Google Chrome manually following the steps shown below:
1. Visit the Google Chrome Web Store page to install IDM Integration Module Extension in Chrome.
2. Then, click on Add to Chrome, a permission pop-up will appear just below the address bar.
3. Finally, click on Add Extension to add IDM extension in Chrome.
An icon will appear in the taskbar of the browser. You have successfully installed the IDM integration module extension on the Google Chrome web browser.
How to Enable Incognito mode of IDM Integration Module Extension
People use the Incognito mode of Google chrome for various purposes. If you need to download files in Incognito mode through IDM, you should first enable IDM for Incognito mode with the following steps.
1. Right-click on the IDM icon on the taskbar of Chrome and then, click on Manage Extensions. A new tab will be opened with settings for the IDM Integration Module extension.
2. Click on the button that reads Allow in Incognito so that it will be turned on.
How to fix “IDM integration module cannot contact IDM application” Error
After you installed Internet Download Manager, an occasional error message “IDM integration module cannot contact IDM application” shows up when you try to download files for the first time which causes IDM not to catch download links as expected.
The solution is to enable Allow access to file URLs in the Manage extensions page. It gives permission for the IDM extension to read, access, and write on your computer. These permissions are normally safe for extensions installed from the Chrome web store.
How to Stop IDM from Downloading Specific Files?
Sometimes the files you are interested to download may be too small that you need to access them right away from the download bar at the bottom of the chrome page. In such situations, special shortcut keys can be set to force IDM not to download these small files.
1. Open IDM.
2. Go to Options and click on the General tab.
3. At the bottom of the General tab, click on the Keys option and Using Special Key window will be opened.
4. Select the keys by ticking from the keyboard key option provided: Shift, Del, Ctrl, and Alt. You can choose one or more keys that are easy for you to remember while trying to download a file on Google Chrome.
5. Finally, click OK to save changes.
Next time when you are downloading a file, keep the Special Keys you chose pressed while you are clicking on the download link so that IDM is doesn’t download the files. If the download is started in Google Chrome, you can release the keys.
How to Add Files Types in IDM
Even though the IDM extension module is enabled in Chrome, IDM will not capture downloads whenever you are using IDM on it. IDM has a list of file types that will capture downloads directly from Google Chrome whenever it is called for.
That means unless the File Type of the file you want to download is not on the list of files types IDM has been set, you will not be able to download any file with that particular file type.
The following are the steps you should follow to add Files Types in IDM:
1. Open IDM.
2. Go to Options and click on the Files Types tab.
3. Check if the file type of the file you wish to download is there. If not, add the file type name by leaving a space before the last file type name. This will solve the issue of IDM not catching downloads from any web browser.